Welcome to my blog * thoughts and things * poetry, pictures * ideas * opinions * kindness * video * stay and read a while.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Power of Meditation: Complete Body Scan As Meditation

Share it Please
“How do you meditate?” I asked a friend.  Try asking your friends the same question.  I have been doing it for while now and picked up a number of suggestions to add to my own practice.

One friend answered, “I meditate on my stationary bike because I enjoy the alone time so much.  When I’m peddling I begin what I call a body scan.  I always start with my toes, working from the bottom of my body going up.  I mentally scan each toe looking for tension and imagining the release of tension.  Sometimes I go very slowly, one inch of body at a time, depending on my schedule.  Other times I scan larger body sections, such as a foot, then my calf muscles.  When I get to top of my head I don’t stop there.

"That’s the second part of my meditation.  I imagine this scan I’ve been making from the bottom of my body moving up to be like a building momentum of energy that in my imagination I let continue past my head, extending up as far as my mind can conceive.  Then I let myself play with mental imagery of where that goes.  Up, for example, beyond our solar system and wherever my thought will take me. Finally, I let the idea of the rising energy reconnect to my feet, where I started, so I’m imagining a complete circuit.

"Sometimes I’ll feel my body respond to this meditation with warmth or even a buzzing.  It’s very enjoyable, and I look forward to it.  When I’m done I feel more aware of my body, and I feel alive and even connected to the earth in a way of speaking."

You may also enjoy reading:
What works best for you in meditation?
Want to be happier?  Stop doing these ten things right away

Purchase The Power of Meditation


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts


5 most recently updated from the blogs I'm following

Followers

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners

Science of Mind and Spirit For Begnners
"This wonderful book guides any individual to understand Science of Mind with ease and grace. It is a simple and beautiful presentation of the Spiritual Principles Science of Mind teaches. I highly recommend this book to students, licensed Practitioners and ministers. Blessings to Rev Edward." ~ Johan Gonzalez RScP. Science of Mind and Spirit for Beginners: Four Chapters in Simplified Prose, paraphrased by Edward VIljoen

Practice The Presence Journal

Practice The Presence Journal
Journaling offers a powerful way to record your spiritual growth. Writing in a journal calls on you to be more conscious of the insights that occur daily in your life. It gives you an opportunity to examine your beliefs and be mindful of your choices.

Seeing Good At Work

Seeing Good At Work
I have been through the book three times over three years, and am starting it again. This is not because the material in the book is not working, but because it is working so well! The weekly lessons keep me on track and focused on what is actually true and important, and help me experience more good in every area of my life. LS

Ezine.com